The Great Down Under Journal

Saturday, July 02, 2005

July 2nd, Australia Day 131

This week has been pretty inactive though it was not intended to be so. I hope everyone had a pleasant Canada Day and enjoyed the long weekend. Down here, it appears as though Canada Day is not as big a celebration as it could be. Remember, that here it is winter and while not cold, the temperatures are not what they were when I arrived.

I say that this week has been inactive because I have been unable to play any sports due to the inclement weather that has arrived in New South Wales. I am reminded of an old saying warning those who wish for things that they should be careful. In eastern Australia there has been a near-drought and many wished that rain would come to replenish the land and refill the depleted reservoirs that supply Sydney. About a week ago, a system moved through the area that gave many exactly what they wanted, rain, but it gave them a lot. In northern eastern New South Wales, especially around the town of Lismore, there were flood conditions. The town was saved by a new levee but the outlying areas were declared a Natural Disaster Area by the Premier of New South Wales, Bob Carr. This entitles the people in the area to compensation for losses incurred by the flood. The drought is over, but not without cost.

With respect to Canada Day, I did nothing of great significance. I hung a large Canadian flag that I brought with me in the window of my apartment and I wore a t-shirt that I have which has stylized representations of the Canadian flag on it as well as "Canada" written across it in big, black letters. I also wore a pin that I have of the Canadian and Australian flags crossed. On the night of the 1st, I went to try and find a Canadian pub that I had heard was in The Rocks area in downtown Sydney, but I didn't manage to find it. Instead, I just found a pub and had a burger and coke to celebrate my homeland's birthday. I trust that the celebrations in Ottawa went ahead as planned and without incident. This marks only the 3rd time that I have celebrated Canada Day outside of Ottawa, and the first time outside Canada. The first time was in 1997 in Drumheller, AB, and the second time was in 1998 in South Bolton, QC. Come to think of it, this is the first time I celebrated Canada Day in the southern hemisphere and, therefore, in winter (as it should be).

I still cannot believe how pleasant the weather is in Sydney, even in winter. July is supposed to be the equivalent of January in the northern hemisphere but in Sydney, there is no indication that this is wintertime. The daytime highs are consistently at or around 20C and snow is non-existent except in the mountains. I don't expect to see any snow but if I do it will be a welcome sight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home